French Canadian Tourtiere. Contains pork, potatoes, onions and spices.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 large baking potato
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust deep dish pie
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Bake the potato until done, 30 – 45 minutes in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven. Peel and mash the potato.
- Place the potato, ground pork, onion, spices and water in a large frying pan and simmer until very thick, for about one hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare your pastry.
- Line a deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Spoon in filling, spreading evenly. Cover with top crust.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Cut steam vent. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). If edges brown too fast, cover with a strip of foil. Serve warm.