A delectable combination of ingredients that result in a tasty quiche dish.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 10 slices bacon
- 2 (8 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place asparagus in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 2 to 6 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Brush pie shells with beaten egg white. Sprinkle crumbled bacon and chopped asparagus into pie shells.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Sprinkle Swiss cheese over bacon and asparagus. Pour egg mixture on top of cheese.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven until firm, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.