This is a macaroni and cheese I first made 3 years ago when I was in California. When I got back to Texas I made it for my mom. This is now her favorite baked macaroni and cheese. She begs me to make it when I come to visit.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package processed American cheese, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, salt, mustard and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- To the milk mixture add the Cheddar and American cheeses; stir until cheese melts. Combine macaroni and cheese sauce in a 2 quart baking dish; mix well.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group where we share Yummy recipes everyday
Easy Recipes A to Z