- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons salt, or as needed
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Remove chicken from packaging, remove giblet packet from cavity, and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels. Place in a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Mix salt, orange zest, rosemary, and thyme together in a small bowl; rub 3/4 of the mixture all over outside of chicken; rub remaining mixture inside cavity. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove plastic wrap from chicken.
- Bake chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, 2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on size. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove chicken from the oven, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 20 minutes before carving.
Cook’s Notes and Tips:
A good rule for the salt mixture is 1 tablespoon per 5 pounds.
I prefer fresh herbs if I have them on hand, but either work fine.
Click on the Next Page Button to continue reading.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group where we share Yummy recipes everyday
Easy Recipes A to Z