This German Chocolate Pie recipe idea comes straight from Amish country. The rich, gooey, chocolate filling it to die for!
While traveling through a small Amish town several years ago, we stopped at an authentic Amish restaurant that served German Chocolate Pie. It was so good we ended up buying an entire pie to eat the next day. Ever since then I have been dreaming about, drooling over, and seriously craving this pie. After many attempts, I think I have finally perfected it! I knew I had it right when my family ate the entire pie out of the pan before it even had time to cool! Hope you love it too!
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, or use a chocolate graham crust so good!!
- 1 package (4 oz) sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1- 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 -1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- Coconut and pecans are to be sprinkle over top of pie
- 1-1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 375° degrees. Place pie crust in 9-inch pie plate as directed. In 1quart saucepan, heat chocolate and butter over medium to low heat until melted and mixture can be stirred smooth. Remove from heat, gradually stir in milk.
- In medium bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. In small bowl, mix egg yolks, vanilla and almond extract. Gradually add chocolate mixture to egg mixture, stirring whisk. Add chocolate, egg yolk mixture to cornstarch mixture, stirring with whisk. Pour filling into crust.
- In small bowl, mix coconut and pecans together and sprinkle over top of pie.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and almost set. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 5 hours or longer.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group where we share Yummy recipes everyday
Easy Recipes A to Z