This is one of our favorite dishes during Lent. This recipe can be made ahead and then kept warm in the oven for 20 minutes. Being Irish and German, I make potato pancakes both ways. Serve with sour cream, applesauce, and/or ranch dressing. The kids love the ranch dressing.
- 1 cup prepared mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- canola oil, or as needed, divided
- Stir mashed potatoes, flour, milk, egg, butter, and sea salt together in a bowl. Add shredded potatoes, Cheddar cheese, and zucchini; stir until batter is well-combined.
- Heat 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop batter by heaping tablespoons into hot oil. Cook, turning once, until golden-brown on each side, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil and batter.