This French toast is perfect for Mother’s Day! It is a nice twist to the traditional breakfast dish, and makes a nice addition to any brunch. I hope that you enjoy this recipe. Serve with fresh fruit, fruit preserves, or warm maple syrup.
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 thick slices French bread
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Place almonds in a small saucepan over low heat. Tossing frequently, toast until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, salt, baking powder, almond extract and vanilla extract. Soak bread slices in the mixture until saturated. Place slices in a shallow pan. Refrigerate slices approximately 1 hour.
- Heat canola oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. One at a time, press one side of soaked bread slices in the almonds to coat. Fry bread slices on both sides until golden brown. Dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving,