Homemade biscuits are spiked with fresh, sweet blueberries in this crowd-pleasing Blueberry Biscuits recipe. This recipe is perfect to replace your traditional buttermilk biscuit recipe at breakfast. Try it also as a side to your favorite salad or as a light dessert served warm with ice cream.
WJ treated me to a fun weekend. We visited Greenwood, MS. We visited Viking Cooking School, shopped at the retail store which is like shopping for diamonds to me and took a cooking class. As well, we stayed at The Alluvian Hotel and this is where I was inspired! The Alluvian offered not-your-standard Continental breakfast. They refer to it as the Southern Buffet breakfast offering homemade buttermilk biscuits and gravy, pancakes, cheese grits, frittata, and a to-die-for blueberry biscuit.
- 2 cups Flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk, cold
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons of butter (cold or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces blueberries, fresh or dried
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder in a bowl. Add the super cold milk into dry ingredients and mix.
- As dough begins to form take each tablespoon of hardened solidified butter and break chunks off and spread evenly over dough. Fold dough, and knead, repeat until all butter is spread in chunks evenly throughout dough. Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Move dough to floured cutting board and roll flat to about ¼ – ½ thick (or to desired thickness) and cut approximately 6 Blueberry Biscuits with a biscuit or cookie cutter. If you notice the butter starts to melt (hot kitchen) during this process it may be necessary to return the dough to the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Do not exceed 20, as the baking powder’s 1st stage may become inactive past that. Place in oven and bake for about 7-12 minutes. Melt 1 tablespoon of low-fat butter in the microwave, and paint finished biscuits with a pastry brush. Mix glaze ingredients in a bowl, and drizzle over Blueberry Biscuits with a fork. Enjoy !!!!