Delicious, light and lemony dessert is easy to make. Perfect to take to your next pot luck, or make it just for your family — they will thank you
In a baked cheesecake, tart lemon juice is mellowed by the heat of the oven. In this Lemon Icebox Cheesecake recipe from Cook’s Country, they needed to dial back the lemon juice to compensate. Lemon curd, a rich, tangy spread made from eggs, butter, cream, sugar, and lemon juice, added crisp lemon flavor without the undesirable “chew” of zest or the processed flavor of lemon extract. Using lemon cookies instead of graham crackers for the crust created an additional layer of lemon flavor.
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon Jell-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 12 oz can Carnation Evaporated milk, well chilled
- Graham crackers, crushed
- Dissolve Jell-O in boiling water. Cool until slightly thickened.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice with mixer until smooth. Add thickened Jell-O and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the Carnation milk until fluffy. Add cream cheese/Jell-O mixture and beat well with mixer.
- Line bottom of 9 x 13-pan with crushed Graham crackers.
- Spread filling over and top with more crushed Graham crackers. Chill.