A spicy, cheesy, Mexican flavored dish assembled and baked much like lasagna.
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast meat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup fresh salsa
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 15 (6 inch)s corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet, brown shredded chicken in butter or margarine. Add onions, jalapeno peppers, garlic, basil and oregano. Then add the spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and salsa/picante sauce. Stir all together. Cover skillet and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- In a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish, place a layer of tortillas, then a layer of the chicken/sauce mixture, then a layer of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice, then top casserole with Cheddar cheese and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour, until cheese is bubbly.