These salty caramel chocolate bars are chewy and have layer upon layer of caramel and chocolate goodness on top of a soft oatmeal cookie crust.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 (one) 14 oz package caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup salted dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line an 11X7″ baking pan with parchment paper leaving about 1 inch of paper hanging on the sides. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl of a mixer add the butter and sugar. With the paddle attachment on, beat on low speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat few more seconds until combined.
- Stir in the flour and oats. Beat until there’s no more dry flour. The mixture will be a little crumbly. To not worry.
- With your fingers, press the mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 23-25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the unwrapped caramels and the heavy cream. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the partially baked crust.
- Top with the peanuts and chocolate chunks and return to the oven for an additional 12-14 minutes until the chocolate is softened and caramel begins to bubble around the edges.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for about 1 1/2 hours before cutting into bars.