This is a really easy and super delicious recipe for sausage gravy poured over biscuits that will have your family begging you to make this again and again. This recipe makes a hearty breakfast that is perfect any time of the year or any day of the week. Serve with a side of eggs or even a salad to round-out a filling lunch.
Late Saturday afternoon, after Marlboro Man had returned home with the soccer-playing girls, and I had returned home with the soccer-playing boys, and after our three bottle calves were given their bottles and I washed the last dirty dish in the mountain of dishes I’d left piled in the sink when I left the house Saturday morning, I decided to make biscuits and sausage gravy.
- 1-pound breakfast sausage, hot or mild
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups whole milk, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
- 12 cooked biscuits, warmed, for serving
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
- With your finger tear small pieces of sausage and add them in a single layer to a large heavy skillet. Brown the sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Sprinkle on half the flour and stir so that the sausage soaks it all up, then add more little by little. Stir it around and cook it for another minute or so, then pour in the milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook the gravy, stirring frequently until it thickens (this may take a good 10 to 12 minutes). Sprinkle in the seasoned salt and pepper and continue cooking until very thick and luscious. If it gets too thick too soon, just splash in another 1/2 cup of milk or more if needed. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Spoon the sausage gravy over warm biscuits and serve immediately. This recipe can be easily doubled to serve 24.