- RED VELVET LAYER
- Butter, for cake pan
- Flour, for cake pan
- 1 box red velvet cake mix, plus ingredients called for on the box
- 2 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 c. sour cream
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tbsps powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Red Velvet cake layer:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- flour one springform 9″ cake pan.
- Prepare red velvet cake batter according to box directions. Pour your batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 30 to 32 minutes.
- Let cool slightly in cake pan then remove, use a cake leveler to make sure the top is even and flat -set aside.
- Make the cheesecake layer:
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy and combined, 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one a time, until combined.
- Add sour cream, flour, vanilla, and salt and beat until combined.
- Pour filling into a SEPARATE 9′ springform pan, use parchment paper to line it then bake until only slightly jiggly in the center, about 1 hour.
- Let cool slightly, then transfer to the freezer to cool completely and firm up before assembling on top of the red velvet cake layer. Use a cake leveler again if needed/desired to achieve even layers.
- NOTE if you would prefer to bake them together, just bake the cake first in the springform pan, then add the cheesecake layer on top of the baked cake & bake until the cheesecake layer is slightly jiggly- then stick in freezer until completely cooled & firm.
- Make whipped frosting:
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Using a large balloon whisk, whisk together the ingredients by hand for about five minutes until soft peaks start to form.
- You’ll know the whipped cream is ready when the cream has formed soft peaks and holds onto the whisk.
- Be careful not to overdo the whisking –
- Top the Red Velvet cake with the cheesecake layer carefully.
- Then spread the whipped cream over the top of the cheesecake.
- Use a decorators pastry tip to create whipped dollops on the edge.
- Garnish with red velvet cake crumbs and serve.