This authentic spaghetti and meatballs recipe is made with fresh oregano and parsley. Because the meatballs are cooked in the sauce, they are tender and savory.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 1 dried bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground round
- ½ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked spaghetti
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onion until lightly brown. Mix in 2 cloves garlic, and cook 1 minute. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, 1/2 the oregano, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer while preparing meatballs.
- In a bowl, mix the ground round, bread crumbs, remaining oregano, remaining garlic, parsley, eggs, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Roll into 1 inch balls, and drop into the sauce. Cook 40 minutes in the sauce, or until internal temperature of meatballs reaches a minimum of 160 degrees F (72 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, and stir in the spaghetti. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain. Serve the meatballs and sauce over the cooked spaghetti.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group where we share Yummy recipes everyday
Easy Recipes A to Z